Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

Does the Army charge soldiers to leave assignment overseas

Customer Question

Does the Army charge soldiers to leave assignment overseas for purpose of marrraige? On a peace keeping mission in Damascus Syria. Requested leave and was given options of 2-5 months with increasing fees for each.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. No, the Army does not charge a fee, taxes, etc., for a soldier to take leave under any circumstances. This is a scam, which, unfortunately, is fairly common. If you would like to read more about these types of scams and how to report them, you can find more information at the following link, which is the Army CID link:

These cyber criminals are very good at what they do and take time to develop a "relationship" with their targets and use what might be real names of real soldiers that they found online in various social media websites. But again, there is never any charge of any type for a military member to take leave, ship their personal belongings, etc. The military pays for all of that, it is free to the servicemember always.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 25th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.