Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

Are officer enlisted relationships legal if one is DOD and

Customer Question

Are officer enlisted relationships legal if one is DOD and the other is DHS?
JA: The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Military Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: The scenario is a coast guard officer (dhs) dating an elisted member in another service that is department of defense
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Military Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Inappropriate (romantic) relationships between officers and enlisted are prohibited in all Services, including the Coast Guard, and apply regardless of the service (including Coast Guard, despite their coming under a different Federal Agency). You can see the Coast Guard rules by going to page 2-5 at the following link:

All the other military services have regulations that echo the Coast Guards in terms of officer/enlisted relationships and the cross service application of the prohibition.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 25th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.