Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

I like to know if there is a man in the USA army named

Customer Question

Hi I like to know if there is a man in the USA army named E6 staff Sgt. Rapael Carter base at camp Ripley at little falls in Minnesota
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. Can you please tell me how you have come to know this alleged Army Staff Sgt and what he has told you or says he needs from you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi we meet on the site on feb 22nd this year he sent me a message first we talking talking and we have been since then by e-mail and also on message called hangouts with the gmail he said he is 55years and is retrieing from the army next month he is the staff sgt there at camp ripley in little falls in minnestoa said he been in the army for 35 years he said he want to come out to austraila to be with me he saying he is crazy in love with me .. he is in syria at the morement on a mission and still talks with me ..i have talk with him on the messager hangouts on phone as you can call on this he has a italian accent as he was born in over there ..... he is due to go back to the usa any time back to his base at camp ripley i want to know if he is for real or scam i did call the camp ripley this morning from here but they want tell me anything....
Thank you for your reply. Although I wouldn't have enough information based on what you have shared to tell you whether this person you are talking to is actually who he says he is, and the military will not release a name or location of a servicemember without being subpoenaed or some other legal process, I can describe a situation when you will definitely know that this person is scamming you. If they tell you that they must pay for any sort of transportation home, taxes, fees, etc., to retire or take leave, and say they either don't have the money or the person asking them to take leave must pay, it is definitely a scam. That is just not how the U.S. Military works. There is never a fee, tax, etc., to take leave, retire, come home, etc. You can read a bit more about romance scams from the U.S. Army's CID website by going to the following link: The cyber criminals that engage in this activity are very good and they often do steal the identity of a real servicemember that they found through facebook or some other social media site. They then develop a relationship enough to get to the point of asking for money to be paid to some alleged government agency. That is what their goal is from the very beginning. To get your hard earned money. Please let me know if you need any clarification. If none is needed, if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
well this is no help to me if you cant find out if he is for real or not so my money wasted on here then i thought yous be able to get in touch with there base and find out but you cant so no help to me like this is it
Thank you for your reply. I would actually disagree that what information I provided to you was not helpful. I told you specifically what the case would be if you were being scammed. If that does not occur, then there is no real "scam." In other words, unless someone asks you for money, there isn't a scam. Also, I cannot change the law and the fact that the military cannot release names. I can though, as I have done, describe the situation where a scam is present.