P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My husband was in the USMC years with a discharge date

Customer Question

My husband was in the USMC for two years with a discharge date of 05/21/1969. His discharge papers had been lost and we had been trying off and on since 2000 to receive a copy of his DD214 without success. He inquired at the Federal Building in Muskogee OK where he spoke with a Jason Million and was told that the military had him down as dead and that the records were destroyed in a fire. That inquiry was about three years ago. Approximately six months ago he went to the Federal Building again and spoke with a different person who said he would receive something in the mail within two weeks. I had also sent requests to NPRC and never received a reply. Each of these inquiries was done as a veteran's request. My husband passed away March 11, 2016. On March 31 I sent another request to NPRC as a widow and on April 11 a copy of my husband's DD214 was sent to me. The discharge was honorable. I don't know why they waited until he passed away to send the DD214. Maybe you do.
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I just received the DD214 in the mail yesterday.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Military Lawyer should know?
Customer: I do have documentation that I sent a request to NPRC in 2012. Also, my husband and I weren't started dating about six months following his discharge and his DD214 shows a $10,000 life insurance coverage, which I know he would have changed the beneficiary on had he been able to obtain his records. I don't know who the beneficiary was. I hope it was his deceased mother. It also shows he had five days of accrued leave due him. He also had a couple of medals due him that I never saw.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us about this matter?