P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

Our son was discharged from USMC boot camp with an RE-3p

Customer Question

Our son was discharged from USMC boot camp with an RE-3p code and told he would be eligible to reenlist with a waiver to the branch of his choosing. We have seen his old doctor who says he is healed but it was found that he had hip impingement at boot camp and that his femoral bone was a large which when overused caused his pain. We are taking him to have that corrected arthroscopically but want to know if it is worth doing. He was lead to believe he just needed clearance. His papers also clearly say not a disability but the code seems contradictory to me. Sadly he waived his right to have counsel look over his papers.
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Military Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma...but I do not understand your question regarding this. Do you have a question regarding this? Would it help to talk on the phone?

follow order to assist I would need a response...are you still looking for help on this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry having trouble with the site and feeling most frustrated. What other information do you need?

Well..I was asking you the specific question you had regarding this. I understand your son has an RE 3 code...and he wants to reenlist. Are you asking the process to request his record be corrected (assuming there is some error in his record)?

Also, if you are having trouble with the site I would urge you to contact customer service at

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am going to call them now. What I was looking for is understanding of the code and if it allows for reenlistment as our son was led to believe and how we go about it but honestly I am not sure this can be answered here.

Let me know if you have questions after speaking to customer service. And if you like we can chat on the phone