Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

My name is ***** *****, looking advice to join the Marine

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****, looking for DoDMERB advice to join the Marine Corps
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I tried to join the Army in 2007, but was denied in MEPS because of a head injury. I tried to join the Navy in 2009, but was denied by MEPS again. Now, I am trying to join the Marine Corps and have been told by certain folks that I should not report an accident that happened ten years ago. They also have said that DoDMERB and MEPS do not share information, therefore I have no need to worry about my previous accident. By the way, the accident was a concussion in 2007.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Military Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the information. Although I don't see a specific question, I am assuming you are asking if it would be advisable not to divulge your prior medical history when applying for the USMC. First, keep in mind that, as an officer of the court, I cannot advise you to violate the law. As you no doubt know, making a false statement on your application is a violation of Federal law. I am not sure who would be advising you to falsify your application, but hopefully not an attorney.

In any event, it is not generally the norm for DoDMERB and MEPS to share information unless they know that the other organization has made a determination in the case of a particular individual. In other words, they don't share the same computer system of records. So, it is quite possible that someone who is going through MEPS and is not honest about their prior enlistment or commissioning attempts and medical history can get through a MEPS evaluation and successfully join the military service.

That said, that would not be a guarantee that the medical information, either through DoDMERB or another source would never be discovered. If the Marine were to either later be injured or have medical problems, or perhaps have a security clearance investigation, and it was discovered that they had this previous medical issue that they didn't divulge and that they made a false statement on their application, then they would, at the very least face discharge from the service. They could also, face discipline, including court-martial for the false official statement and fraudulent enlistment. If, early in their service, the latter is not likely, but would be more likely if discovered later in their career.

All something to keep in mind when going forward. But again, there is no automatic sharing of this information between these two organizations. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 14th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good.If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.