Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

I have a quick question if you can't provide me with some answers

Customer Question

I have a quick question if you can't provide me with some answers please
JA: The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a soldier is is currently being investigated by our xo for adultrey. The xo is trying to investigate me as a witness. Does article 31 cover my right to my xo? I have not talked much about what I do or do not know and there is nothing on paperwork. What are my options
JA: Anything else I can tell the Military Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. Article 31 only protects an individial's right to not incriminate themselves. It does not allow a person to decline giving testimony against someone else, unless that testimony also incriminates them in a criminal activity. So, if you are just a witness, then no...Article 31 does not apply to you. If you were called, you'd have to make a statement or you could be punished for disobeying an order. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.