Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

If a CO is wanting to NJ you due from a pending DUI, do you

Customer Question

If a CO is wanting to NJ you due from a pending DUI, do you lose your honorable discharge?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. While it is not automatic, a command given NJP or civilian pending DUI is sufficient basis to reduce an honorable discharge to a General discharge. You more normally see this though if the soldier is also administratively separated before their regular ETS date, but it doesn't have to happen that way. A DUI is sufficient misconduct to remove an Honorable discharge. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.