P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

What is the likelihood of getting Meritorious Service Medal

Customer Question

What is the likelihood of getting Meritorious Service Medal Upgraded to a Bronze Star Medal. I was the Command Master Chief of a Navy F-14 fighter squadron. I meet all the criteria to get a BSM.
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I retired in 2003 and got a MSM, my squadron was attached to the USS Abraham Lincoln. We were gone for about 11 months. The Abe was one of the carriers that launched the invasion of Iraq in 2003. I retired shortly after returning to the states and never really got to see the award. I had the 1650/3 justification that was read at my retirement. I had a house fire recently and all my awards were lost in the fire. I started trying to replace them and when I ordered a copy of my record, the MSM was not even remotely close to the 1650 justification. Ready the instruction for 2003 I believe that a MSM could not have been awarded for service in a non-combat zone, only BSM. I believe the instructions are really clear. Since it has been over three years, I know I have to have a congressmen reopen case. The good news is I have talked to Sen Thom Tillis in NC and he has agreed to do it. I think it has to go to Navy Corrections Board and that is were I need legal advice writing my package.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Military Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help
Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
Can you tell me, what is your question here...are you looking for someone to help you put together the package to the board of corrections?