Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

My issue is in relations with a fail UA. I told my unit I will

Customer Question

My issue is in relations with a fail UA. I told my unit I will attain SURP and still drill until Im finally release from service but I want to get out as soon as possible. And Im willing to meet them half way to see if a convenience of government discharge will be okay if I pay my contract off with just a good employment record and sacrificing all other benifits. I also felt pressure to resign when I didnt want to and made it load and clear. And was womdering if I could recieve a honorable discharge with all other benifits flag under the rug. Is their wiggle room?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It was the first UA I fail for THC and I just finish my 6 year contract and I was pressure to resign another 2 year contract.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Military Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 8 months ago.
Are you active duty, or reserves? Also, have you had or do you have an upcoming administrative separation board? Have you spoken with military counsel yet?Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im in the National Guard and they told me I will not be able to attain a board with just reaching my 6 years point. I was 3 weeks shy of 6 years. And I have spoken to my chain of command plus 2 lawyers so far.
So, it appears that you'll likely be processed for a general discharge.You can write to the separation authority, which will be the commanding general of your command, and request that your separation be characterized as honorable based upon your past performance. You should chronicle everything you've accomplished in your almost six years, both inside and out of the Guard. The commanding general can grant that request, unfortunately, under these circumstances, the request is not typically granted. If members of your chain support you receiving an honorable discharge, you should ask them write a letter to the general as well.The good news is that a general discharge will still provide some benefits; however, things like the Post 9/11 GI Bill will no longer be available.If you do receive a general discharge you can apply for a discharge upgrade from the Army after you've been discharged.