Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

I bought some gear from a guy named because I was missing

Customer Question

Hi I bought some gear from a guy named Jackson because I was missing some gear and this guy named oso was missing some gear he was my friend at the time and so he asked me to get him two bullet proof plates he was missing so i bought them from a guy on Craigslist who said he bought them from ebay oso gave me $400 and he needed a racksack and a friend named jackson gave him a racksack for $200 and oso said i sold him a assaultpack but i didnt. some time passed and then oso said he couldn't use the two bullet proof plates so he gave them back to me and i told him i would pay him back in a few months. Then some more time passes and oso has a gear lay out and finds out that the rack sack has a name on it and it was of someone who missing it. So now they are saying I stoled the racksack and the assault pack and sold it to oso. But Jackson name was not said in any of this. So a 2LT asked me my said of the story and I told him that I bought two plates which came from ebay which I bought from a craigslist guy but that assaultpack I had nothing to do with it and the racksack a guy named Jackson sold it oso and then they asked if they could check my room I said yes and we went thru my gear. And I bought some gear from Jackson a few weeks ago because I was missing some gear and he instead of just giving me What I missing he gave me a bunch of gear which I didn't need. So the 2LT checked all of my gear and I had about 15 extra things and it turns out that gear was the gear which was stolen from a guy. And the 2LT said he will talk to Jackson and see what happens. Tell me what you think help.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 8 months ago.
I think you're in possession of stolen property, there will be an investigation, and you'll likely be charged.You need to speak with a defense counsel on base.Additionally, you need to start gathering all the evidence you can to defend yourself, to include eBay receipts, text messages, emails, and anything else that can establish you didn't know the gear was stolen.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What will I be charged with?
That's the thing I have no evidence.
Anything that can help me out
Possibly ossession of stolen property and larceny.EBay keeps a trail of your purchases.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so what can they do to me with that having stolen property which I bought from someone.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If I have no evidence. I can't do anything ?
It is the government's burden to prove you are guilty, but if you have no way to refute what you are charged with, it is more likely you'll be found guilty.Why don't you have anything from eBay?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cause I didn't personally buy it from ebay. It was from ebay because thats what the person I bought it from said it was from.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so if I'm found guilty what can happen.
You can be imprisoned and discharged.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Imprison like what do you mean imprison like local jail or mp station jail or what do you mean ?
Local military facility. The maximum sentence could be multiple years, but would likely be several months.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
if I grab a lawyer a military lawyer can he do anything?
Because their has to be something I can do I didn't even steal the gear I just bought it from someone else.
You should not make any statements to anyone, and should go immediately to speak with a military defense counsel on base.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok well what can the military lawyer do for me? You gotta help me out with something cause their has be something he can do?
There's an active investigation into theft and sale of military property. You're the target. Go speak with a defense counsel on your base.