Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

I am divorced from man, were matried 13 years and had three

Customer Question

I am divorced from man, were matried 13 years and had three children. Do I still qualify for ID card and base benefits? I have not remarrief
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately, you, personally, would not qualify for base privileges, medical care, or an ID as you didn't have a long enough marriage under the Uniform Services Former Spouse Protection Act (USFSPA), the law that governs this issue, which requires you either be a 20/20/20 spouse or a 20/20/15 spouse for partial benefits. You can see a summary of the details of the Act at the following link: http://www.military.com/benefits/military-legal-matters/uniformed-services-former-spouse-protection-overview.html

All that said, the children you had together, if they are minors, are entitled to be in DEERS, which entitles them to an ID and base privileges and medical care through TRICARE.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above (let me know if you don't see it), I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 11th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.