Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

A domestic investigation was started between my husband and

Customer Question

A domestic investigation was started between my husband and another female. They seem to be doing everything to protect her even though there's evidence of vindictiveness on her part and her breaking the mpo placed against her. My husband is being forced to stay on base indefinitely even though he hasn't been charged. And now dss is saying that he can't see our children because of the domestic issue between him and the other female and now his command is making him sign an mpo against my husband and our kids and possibly me.
JA: The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: We tried to go to legal but they told us they can't do anything until he is charged.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Military Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Military Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, as he is now under their command and not under civilian laws, the base command can issue orders and have them enforced pursuant to UCMJ and not under the laws involving regular domestic orders. So, your husband is going to have to obey orders and while waiting he needs to obtain a JAG counsel to represent him, even though the JAG cannot do anything until the investigation is complete, the JAG can protect his rights during the investigation and if charged thereafter as well.
He is at the mercy of the investigator and his command though as he is owned by the military and has to follow their orders, even if it is an order to stay away from his wife and children until the investigation is over.