Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

I didn't receive a separation physical when I was discharged

Customer Question

I didn't receive a separation physical when I was discharged from the us Air Force in sep 1992. Although I have received 30% va disability for sinusitis and asthma, I have been denied for more serious issues relating to a previously torn meniscus and sleep apnea. My question is simply this: How can I be denied of any claim if I was never given an exit physical?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 9 months ago.

Have you been able to provide support for the medical issues you seek to have covered?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
through private medical providers. And the VA has a copy of my military medical records and it should be ascertained by review that I never received an exit physical.

Well, were you diagnosed while you were on active duty by the private doctor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No Sir. After I left the military.

Well, that's the issue. You have to show that the injury existed or was caused during your military service.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The tour meniscus issue occurred when I was in the military and I have proof of that which is contained within my military medical history. The sleep apnea was a secondary claim that was submitted based on the apnea being a progressive results from The previously diagnosed and compensation approval for sinusitis. I think all this is a moot point though because I never received a separation physical when I was discharged.

You should be able to prove the torn meniscus if it's in your medical record.

The rest will be difficult.

If you have been denied, you can file an appeal of the denial.

Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please remember to rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer if my response has been rated. Thank you.