P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I'm active duty and my ex has failed to make the mortgage

Customer Question

I'm active duty and my ex has failed to make the mortgage payments because I agreed to give her the house during the divorce. I just received orders to go out of state. I am about to lose my career, because my ex spouse has failed to pay the mortgage. What can I do to avoid being discharged?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. If she was awarded the home, why is she not making the payments? Did the Judge order she do this and/or require she refinance the home within a specific period of time? Also, if the home is foreclosed on, can you share with me how/why this would result in you being discharged?