P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

You can call me. Im on army national guard. But my situation

Customer Question

Hi you can call me john.
Im on army national guard. But my situation different. I leave on a town where theres no national guard unit. So everytime i go to drills.. i have to take a plane or ferry .. and sometimes theyre having a hard time to buy me a ticket because of my situation. There is 10000 people here in my town and im the national guard here. So my question is.. is there a discharge that i can ask? I heard something like community discharge? Because im to far away. And what kind of discharge is that? I just want to know because ita to hard for me because i have a full time job and school. And everytime they set a date for me to fly it doesnt happen.
Thank you
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

John, can you tell me, how long have you been in the NG?

And did you get a bonus to sign?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did not get any bonus sign.. and i joined last october 2014.

Thank you John

The regulation that governs this can be seen here

http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r135_178.pdf

There is no "community discharge"

HOWEVER, under Chapter 6 there is a Hardship discharge you can apply for.

If you can show you have a hardship based on your service, the regulation allows your commander to release you

So you can certainly make this request.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One more question. Am i qualified for that "Hardship discharge"? Btw my mom is a single parent.. and i do have a minor brother. Im like the father in this family..

The regulation defines hardship as

Hardship exists when, in circumstances not involving death or disability of a member of a Soldier’s Family, separation from the service would materially affect the care or support of the Soldier’s Family by materially alleviating undue hardship.

So if your family is impacted by this...say you can not afford to pay the costs to transit and feed your family? That would be a basis for hardship