P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My name is ***** ***** and I was given an LOR w/UIF

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** and I was given an LOR w/UIF for knowingly possessing stolen goods. Bot***** *****ne, I was asked if I wanted some extra clothing items that no one wanted and I asked if that was ok due to these items not being for me specifically. I was told that they were not needed anymore and I could have them. I was unaware of any process or how the items were ordered etc. I was basically told that I cannot use the ignorance plea, which is the honest truth. Should I have dug more? Maybe? I understand after today the punishment could have been a lot worse; however, I have been in the military over 18 years and have NEVER not once been in trouble or had any paperwork or other issued to me. My record is spotless, with high praises and high marks of performance. I want to write a rebuttal, but fear due to pressures my leadership will feel the need to proceed. I want to keep my reputation intact.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was given an LOR w/UIF for knowingly possessing stolen goods. Bot***** *****ne, I was asked if I wanted some extra clothing items that no one wanted and I asked if that was ok due to these items not being for me specifically. I was told that they were not needed anymore and I could have them. I was unaware of any process or how the items were ordered etc. I was basically told that I cannot use the ignorance plea, which is the honest truth. Should I have dug more? Maybe? I understand after today the punishment could have been a lot worse; however, I have been in the military over 18 years and have NEVER not once been in trouble or had any paperwork or other issued to me. My record is spotless, with high praises and high marks of performance. I want to write a rebuttal, but fear due to pressures my leadership will feel the need to proceed. I want to keep my reputation intact.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Military Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you looking for help drafting the rebuttal?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sir. I need aide in drafting a rebuttal.

Easy. I can do that (I have plenty of experience in this area)

I will send the offer. If you accept, we can talk on the phone (or communicate via email) so I can understand your side, I will draft a rebuttal...and we can work together until you are satisfied.