Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

My name is ***** ***** and I'm a Marine at Camp Geiger. I

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** and I'm a Marine at Camp Geiger. I went to BAS because I was having panic attacks and they gave me medicine to calm me down. Then I went back because I wasn't feeling good and I thought it was from the meds but it turned out I had mono. I only had a week left till graduation and I got put on con leave for 14 days. I've been taking the meds for the anxiety and they have calmed me down but I feel like crap when I take them. It's been 2 weeks or so and I'm slowly starting to bring myself off the meds. I was told that the anxiety can be grounds for a discharge. I'm going back tomorrow and have an appointment Monday. I don't want to do it anymore I don't want to start training over from the beginning. The doctor told me if I didn't want to be there he could get me discharged. How long would this take and is there anyway I can speed things up. I can't be in Lima company that long. The place drives me crazy.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No that's really all of it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Military Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. There is no set required time for a Command to release a Marine once they start the administrative processing paperwork. However, the Command will not want to keep you on the rolls any longer than they have to since that effects their ability to bring another enlistee onboard. Usually, assuming that the Command agrees that you should be discharged, which they generally would if a doctor recommends it, there should only be a few weeks until you go home.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know guys that have been in Lima company for over a year. What would be the reason for that? Also would speaking with a senator from my state help?

Thank you for your reply. I can't say specifically since I don't know the particulars of their situation, but usually the only reason for a really prolonged hold is because they have injuries that they are being treated for and will not be released until they are released by medical. There could also be military justice issues or waiting for orders to a school/command if they are being retained. You have to take what you hear around you with a grain of sand since no one knows exactly what is in someone else's record. I can only tell you what the normal time would be in a case similar to what you described yours to be from the time the Command actually starts administrative processing paperwork.