Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

My husband is a officer in the Navy. We have lived apart

Customer Question

My husband is a officer in the Navy. We have lived apart for a year. He told me that he wanted to work through things, only to find he is currently having an affair with a civilian. He now says he is in love and wanting a divorce and threatened to make my life hell if I told anyone he works with, because it would make him look bad. Would he actually get in trouble if his work found out?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Yes, he could actually get into trouble. At best, ***** ***** an unprofessional relationship (if there is no sex, just feelings) which is a military offense. At worst, it is actual adultery, which is also a military offense.

Both can result in counseling, removal from a position of authority, non-judicial punishment, administrative separation or even court martial (though exceedingly rare).

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.