P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My name is ***** ***** Simpson, I'm an attorney in

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** Simpson, I'm an attorney in Charlotte. I have a son who is a 3rd year cadet at West Point
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, last year my son left the West Point campus without authorization, and was caught he just had an honor court, and the commandant recommended separation, but the rest of the court recommended a year in the army as an enlisted person the superintendent will decide on Feb 12 I guess my first question is if he is separated, can he appeal? can he reapply to West Point later, or is he done? also, does it count as a dishonorable discharge?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Military Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

You are using a term I am not familiar with. "honor court"...I suspect this may be the local vernacular for some type of administrative proceeding.

Can you verify, was this an administrative proceeding?

or was it a criminal proceeding (court martial)?