P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I served with the Army 65 67 in VN 1st Batt. 40th Field Arty

Customer Question

I served with the Army 65 67 in VN 1st Batt. 40th Field Arty 66 67. Two of my buddies and I were wounded by one of our 105 rounds that was packed in a Jungle Pack Canister as the top was pulled off it exploded wounding the three us us. We have tried for years to get our Purple Heart. We were turned in for the PH by our Battery Commander but it was never processed by proper channels in Head Quarters Battery. We even have Clerks who saw the paper work. Our BC was told if he didn't look the other way they would take his bars. I have a CD of an interview with our BC and a Retired Administrative Federal Judge trying to help us get our medal.First they told us we had waited to long to apply my one buddy tried back when he first got home from Nan. Like our Sgt. Major E-9 says that is BS because they are still awarding them from all the other wars, so its discriminationWe have numerous supporting testimony statement that are notarized on our behalf.They even told us that if we could find the perpetrator it would carry a lot of weight. So I guess they want us to go back to V.N. 50 years later and find someone to hang it on. Then they will tell us they need more info. never telling us what they need never an explanation. My Battery Commander made me promised before he passed away to never quit this mission and I made him that promise.When I contacted Rep.Rick Larson's Office with all the documentation that I have they said it was a slam dunk which obviously wasn't correct. Again I I have pictures, CD and testimony's I could send to you if it would help. Our Col. Lee *** retired and Sgt. Major Thurman **** retired have tried to help on our behalf.With this new law Stolen Valor Award (google) can we wear the medal without repercussions but we want them to admit that we are deserving. Totally FrustratedLarry ******
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Larry, I am sorry for this dilemma. But do not understand your question. Are you asking if you can wear the medal even though it was not awarded?

If not, can you tell me what is your question?