Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I had surgery and went on a 9 month profile, came off and

Customer Question

I had surgery and went on a 9 month profile, came off and after my recovery failed a pt test now m coming up on my second pt test and I'm wondering if I fail will I still retain my gi bill if I'm discharged honerably? I've been in the army for over 2 years now
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

With an honorable discharge, you would retain eligibility, yes.

However, under the Post 911 bill, you'd only be entitled to 80% of it, unless you hit over 30 months.

If you elected the Montgomery GI Bill, an honorable discharge would give you full entitlement.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.