Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

Can you tell me what AFM 39-10 means on my DD214?

Customer Question

Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

AFM 39-10 is just a reference to an old Air Force Manual for separations. For anything to happen in the military, it has to happen based on a regulation. That particular AFM is what allows one to be separated from the service.

Now, nothing that you've stated here gives any indication of a negative discharge. The AFM reference is ambiguous, because there were good, neutral and bad reasons for discharge under that manual.

But if that was the reason they were denying, you'd they'd outright say that because it'd be a closed case. If their position is that your discharge status disqualifies you, that would be concrete and they would just state that as the reason.

Regardless, I would need to know what paragraph was referenced to know if the discharge was considered punitive in some way, so if you have that please feel free to let me know and I'll look it up for you.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.