P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My husband who I've been married to years is retired from

Customer Question

My husband who I've been married to for four years is retired from the Navy he has been paying his ex wife they divorced in 1990 half of his retirement listed as permanent spousal support in the divorce papers . since he just passed and I am his spouse now I am I entitled to 55% of his retirement
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

This depends....can you tell me, who was listed as the beneficiary of the SPB (insurance)?

I am sorry for this dilemma.

Every state in the US has a law against "bigamy", which is defined as marrying someone who is already married to another.

So before you can marry him, he will need a divorce.
This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can marry him, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Follow up...did you have more questions?