Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

I have been married to my husband 26 years. He is retired

Customer Question

I have been married to my husband for almost 26 years. He is retired being in 20 yearss. He gets 100% disability.can I get any of his retirement. Can I get any of his va or retirement if we divorce
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you are entitled to a part of his retirement pay, but you are not entitled to disability pay, as that goes towards his disability that he sustained from duty.

If you get divorced, the court can award you a portion of his retirement pay. Once you get the divorce decree, you can take that decree to military finance and be paid the pension directly from the military.

Thank you for your inquiry, and please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer if my response is rated. Thank you.