Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

Can my wife sue the navy commands transition negligence

Customer Question

Can my wife sue the navy for my commands transition negligence creating hardship on our transition for military to civil life. The transition is suppose to be painless and follow a time line. I'm under high tenure and currently awaiting separation since September. Due to my CO'S horrible planning and starving to keep manning I have not been able to finish the last half of my transition until one month before separating. I am a geo bachelor in bahrain while my wife and child is in Japan still awaiting my orders to be cut. Orders can be cut due to not being able to get my paperwork finish because my commands mission was an assessment. Now that the assessment has passed I am still being treated as a key member in this command even though I'm an actual loss. Still haven't gotten my paperwork done, haven't scheduled my moves from bahrain and Japan to the states now due to the next mission, sea trials. My wife would like to sue due to the extreme hardship my command has given me and not allowing me to take care of what I need to make our transition successful and have a job lined up for when I separate. Is she able to do that?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

No, the military is immune from lawsuits for such issues. If your wife filed such a lawsuit it would just be dismissed. What you can do is file an article 138 complaint with the Admiral of your command.

If you have any follow-up questions, please let me know. If not, please remember to rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer if my response is positively (three stars of more) rated.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer if my response is rated. Thank you.