P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

A check is sent to my husband -Offset Overdeductions, as

Customer Question

A check is sent to my husband for CSRS-Offset Overdeductions, as expected. But the check arrived after my husband passed away. And, on the envelop, there is a box and a print : "IF RECIPIENT DECEASED, check here and drop in mailbox". I did call the Defense Finance and Accounting Service and talked to some one who confirmed that the check was issued from them, and the check is legitimate. So, is it legal for me to deposit the check to the joint account which still bears my husband ' name ?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I want to make sure I understand. This was a check that was to pay back for money that improperly deducted?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Happy to chat on the phone....but taking another call in 5 mins. I do not time calls...but generally they take a half hour or so. If you do not mind waiting I can call you when I complete?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Seems your payment did not clear the bank. YOu can contact customer service at

1.***-***-****
To address this

Let me know if you have questions

phil