Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

I currently an a resident of Florida and wan to change back

Customer Question

Customer: I currently an a resident of Florida and wan to change back to Ohio. I was born and still maintain a home half the year. I became a Fl resident to take advantage of homestead act. I have medical insurance that is just changing in Ohio and I need to be an Ohio resident. Can you help me?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: In order to keep my insurance I need to be an Ohio resident.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Military Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your inquiry. I would try to assist you.

Are you asking how to establish residency in Ohio?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re establish

Thank you. I'll draft a response for you.

As a general rule, "residence" is treated as the place at which you are temporarily located. Also, as a general rule, "domicile" is treated as the place to which you intend to permanently return. We frequently use these terms interchangeably, but they are significantly different legal terms. You may own a house in Ohio and another in Florida, but it is in one, or the other, that you think of the place that you will always return.

Things that you can immediately do to prove domicile in Ohio for health insurance purposes is:

• File a Declaration of Domicile in the county in which you reside. This is done in the local Clerk of Courts office in the county courthouse. This can be done at anytime during the year.
  • Update your Last Wills and Testaments, Trusts, Powers of Attorney, Living Will Declaration and other legal documents to reflect that Ohio is now your domicile.
  • Obtain an Ohio driver’s license.
  • Register your cars and obtain plates from Ohio.
  • Register to vote in Ohio.
  • Join the local branch of any social or service clubs of which you are a member.
  • Open an Ohio checking/banking account, and automatic deposits and payments should be from this account.

Establishing domicile is based on multiple of these.

Please let me know if you have any follow ups.

If you have any follow-up questions, please let me know. If not, please remember to rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer if my response is positively (three stars of more) rated.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but I need no further help. It has been taken care of

No problem. Please remember to rate my response.