P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

100 desabled veteran be sued or have disability checked

Customer Question

100 desabled veteran be sued or have disability checked garnish ed for non gov bills loans
on cars etc
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Federal law is clear, a court can NOT partition (divide up) VA disability EXCEPT for a very limited set of circumstances.

The court can consider the disability for support (child or spouse) and can garnish for federal debts (including student loan debts)

Other than that? The creditor can not touch it.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.