How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19100
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm currently active duty in the USAF and also an aspiring

Customer Question

I'm currently active duty in the USAF and also an aspiring actor, if I were, for instance, to get casted a major film and got paid more than what I am getting paid now, would I be able to get discharged from the military or would I have to finish my enlistment, I have 2 years and 5 months left.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Having been former enlisted, I know that many enlisted people talk about all the potential loopholes and reasons for separation. The commonly referred to one is the "lottery or inheritance" exception. It's not actually an accepted exception to completing ones military service though. If you ran into this situation, were cast in a part that could conceivably pay you significantly more such that continued service would be a hardship, it is technically possible that a commander could choose to separate you by claiming that as a hardship.

But what you have to understand about these sorts of separation is that you are not in control of them. There is no method to apply for or compel a separation. While a person's facts may fit perfectly into a separation basis, that does not give them a right to that separation. In the end, separations are done at the commander's discretion. Certainly, you'd be able to make a request of your chain of command at the time that you were facing this decision, but you'd have to do so knowing that the commander could oblige or completely ignore your request, and either result would be perfectly legal.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have question concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Related Military Law Questions