Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

If you could not pass PFT run do to a medical issue that is

Customer Question

If you could not pass PFT run do to a medical issue that is chronic would you be discharged?
After passing 1 PFT run in boot camp, I had never been able to complete a run. I was able to get away with it until the last PFT before my 4 years was up. They put me on remedial PFT, but because I would not reenlist because of this and my time was short I did not go to it.
I have Charcot Marie Tooth Disease and I have tried to get a disability rating, but was denied. Is there anything I can do to be grant disability?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 11 months ago.

If you are excused for multiple consecutive PFTs for medical reasons, you can be referred to a medical evaluation board. If the board determines that you are unfit for service due to a medical condition, you can be medically discharged.

If you are medically discharged you are eligible for a disability rating. Based upon the rating, you are eligible for a certain monthly disability payment.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry i should have clarified. I was discharged Honorably in 1984. in boot camp the only run i completed was the last run in boot camp and the only reason i finished and just under the time limit was because, my DI's were running right along side of me and would not let me stop. After boot camp when I was in school for my MOS the class had to run every day. A truck would follow behind us, so when there was no hope of catching up to the other class mates I would get in the truck. I was put down so much every day for not being able to complete the run with everyone else that I told the instructors that i hurt my ankle and they sent me to sick bay. That got me out of the run for the remaining classes. Sometime I think in 1982 I broke my left ankle. The remaining time of my enlistment there were about 4 PFT's that were required that I had to do before i got discharge. There again I would drop out of the run and complain about my ankle so I would not get into trouble. When you enlist after their medical exam they gave a clean ill of health. I first applied a couple years ago for a disability rating on CMT but was denied saying that its hereditary but no one else in my family has it. I was told that if i could prove that it was aggravated by being in the service that I could be compensated. can you help me on this? thank you! Patty

If you were denied a VA disability rating you can appeal, but you have to do so within one year of the date of denial.

You said your denial was multiple years ago?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Or open a new claim, but what do you think the chances would be?

You can certainly try. The issue will be one, whether it is a service connected disability. Some people believe that to mean "caused" by service, but it really means occurring during service.

Whether a tooth problem will give you a disability rating, only the VA can say. But if you also broke your ankle on duty, and that continues to cause problems, perhaps.

You can file a new claim.

If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to assist.

Please remember to rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer is my response is positively rated.

Thank you.

Thank you.