Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

How easy is it or difficult to get a job anywhere with a

Customer Question

How easy is it or difficult to get a job anywhere with a general dicharge from the military. I understand a dishonorable is looked down upon but what about a general?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Any discharge other than an Honorable, is viewed as less than favorable. It's not treated in the same way as a criminal conviction and, certainly, some employers don't even regard it as negative (they simply don't care) or don't even bother asking about prior military service.

However, the ones that do ask tend to care and they'll not look favorably upon a General Discharge. It's not that it is seen as that bad. It's just a negative mark and when compare to others without a negative mark, it can cost jobs.

Oddly enough, most people don't notice many issues with it when they first get out. It is usually a decade or so after separation, when they are seeking more important positions within a company, where they first start to notice it has a hindrance. It is because, at higher levels of employment, every little thing becomes more important.

Again, it is not as serious as a criminal conviction and people certainly are able to find work and lead successful lives with a General discharge, but it is not invisible and can have some effect.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service so that I receive credit for working with you today.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.