P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My name is ***** ***** and I'm trying to get my Purple

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, My name is ***** ***** and I'm trying to get my Purple Heart. I was peppered by shrapnel from an RPG in 2005.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I initially looked into it when I first got out in 2006, but wasn't really in the frame of mind to pursue it. The only documentation that I currently have from it, is a card that was tied to me in case I was medivaced. I'm not sure what kind of documentation I would need to proceed with this
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Military Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I understand your background information...but do not understand the specific question. Do you have a specific question? WOuld it help to chat on the phone?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What would I need to provide (documentation/information wise) to be awarded?

Thank you
You have to prove "error" in the record.

So you have to prove that you were injured, in combat and that they failed to present the award.

How do you prove injury in combat?

Military medical records are the best way. Consider requesting your military records (including medical records). You can do so here

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

Make sure to request the entire record (not just the DD214)

If this is not in your record? Consider tracking down folks who were there, with you...statements from witnesses to the event can be enough for the board of corrections to change the record (award you the medal)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.