Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I have a friend, that is married to a soldier who is very

Customer Question

I have a friend, that is married to a soldier who is very abusive to her. She has no money to file for a divorce and needs to get out of the relationship before he causes serious harm to her, or the kids. Can you guys provide her any legal help with this?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Military attorneys cannot represent an individual in that sort of situation, because we don't have jurisdiction to go before a civilian state law court. However, the military does have numerous services that can help her quickly move out of a situation, to protect herself, her kids and her rights going forward.

There should be a family advocacy program on the base where her husband works. She needs to go thee and explain the situation. That group will be able to work with her husband's commander to get a "no contact" order in place and to set up either a housing option, move the husband onto base, or require the husband to provide financial support during the transition. They can also assist with counseling options. She would then be direct to base legal, so that she can talk about the legal questions going forward. Again, while we can't file any paperwork for her, a JAG can discuss the issues and help with understanding what she can and can't do, in terms of custody, moving, filing for divorce, etc.

If she can't find the family advocacy place right away, it's probably easier to just contact the base Chaplain and that office will certainly have all the contact information for these services.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If so, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.