Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

What is the MRD Major in the IRR? Is it 28 years of service,

Customer Question

what is the MRD for a Major in the IRR? Is it 28 years of service, or less?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Is this for a reservist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for someone in the IRR
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thanks
I have to step away and can not research this now...I will opt out to allow others to assist

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The MRD for any rank LTC and below is 28 years. 10 USC 14507(a)

There is no differing MRD for those on the IRR. Time service in the IRR also counts, just as regular service years, against the total MRD.

Here is a DoD instruction which talks about the management of those officers placed on the IRR.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/123513p.pdf

It does not state any differing calculation method for determining the MRD and instead simply requires that any member of the IRR must have their mandatory removal date record maintained for purposes of removal.

In reviewing other branch specific regulations concerning the MRD, there is more direct language specifying that IRR still counts as MRD years and only a resignation of the commission stops that time from counting.

https://g1arng.army.pentagon.mil/policies/ppomhrh/pages/download.aspx?fileid=17408

You can see this stated in Chapter 3, which discusses exclusions from MRD time. "Commissioned service time does not include service held as an enlisted member, warrant officer, civilian break from military service, or constructive credit and must be excluded from the calculation. Note that time spent in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) and Inactive National Guard (ING) counts toward MRD; only time when an officer has resigned their commission and is no longer a military member may be excluded from the MRD calculation."

If you have further questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to address them. If not, please rate my service and have a good rest of your day.