P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I thought the Marine Corps was right, but after being in

Customer Question

I thought the Marine Corps was right for me, but after being in for about
half a year, it wasn't anything like I thought it would be. I need to know how I can terminate my contact if at all possible. thank you!
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Marine, there is no way for you to "terminate" the contract...at least not based on "the Marine Corps not being right for you"

There are provisions is the Marine Corps Separations Manual (MARCORPSEPSMAN Marine Corps Order 1900.16F) that would allow you to request to be released early from your contract. You can see the order here
http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/Portals/61/Docs/FOIA/MARCORSEPMAN/MCO%20P1900_16F.pdf

Chapter 6, section 4 lists all the basis that can be used to request separation, including hardship, pregnancy, early release to accept public office.

What you are describing would not fall under any of the basis listed in the order.

Now....there is a provision that allows the Marine Corps to separate a Marine during the first 180 days of service...this is called an ELS (entry level separation). This is used to allow the Marine Corps to remove a Marine if they are not suited to the job. It is not something you can request...it is up to the Battalion Commander to recommend.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can cancel your contract, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.