Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I want to know if impersonating a col is a crime, he has it

Customer Question

I want to know if impersonating a col is a crime, he has it on his Facebook page that he is.
I have a neighbor who says he spent 30 years in the Army
He now drinks and drives and says he will not get caught.
He says he is 100% disabled and has received many VA medical services. another neighbor looked up his background and he has commited at least two felenoys
and has had prision time, how can this be, my understanding is if I would commit a felony I would have my pension canselled
Can you please answer this, I am a retired US Army Major
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Actually no, the commission of a felony does not cancel your retirement, so you have the incorrect understanding of that rule. For your military retirement to be cancelled, you'd have to be called back into the service and convicted by court martial, something that I understand can be done legally, but I have never actually seen it done. In fact, I don't even know another attorney/JAG that has seen it done. It's that rare.

As for whether or not impersonating a Colonel is a crime, there are certain Stolen Valor laws that exist for that sort of thing, but it's a matter of finding a prosecutor willing to actually do anything about it.