Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I am on active duty army E8 with 18 years (Jul 2015), I have

Customer Question

Hi, I am on active duty army E8 with 18 years (Jul 2015), I have just been placed on the weight control program, for the second time, and I was told I have 90 days to get in compliance. what will happen to me if I do not meet HT/WT within those 90 days?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

They would likely initiate the process for an administrative separation. Given your tenure, they'd have to grant you a discharge board hearing, where you could push for retention. It would take a couple of months before they could get that started, so if you could show steady progress (even if not in compliance) all the way up to the board, there is a reasonable chance that you'd be retained.

Even if separated, they would have to process your separation up to higher headquarters to see if you should be retired in lieu of separation based on your 18 years of service. They don't have to, but they do have to consider your time in service.