Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

Lawyers: my VA Dr. told me my shoulders both need to be

Customer Question

lawyers: my VA Dr. told me my shoulders both need to be replaced I am 70 years. Can i get Va compensation, i was airborne and jumped out of airplanes
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. In order to receive VA disability compensated, the VA will have to have evidence that your shoulder issues are service-related. That in turn means that there must be some record of an injury in your service record/medical record from your service time or you would have to produce substantiated anecdotal information from witness who could confirm your shoulders were injured from jumping while on active-duty. In other words, the fact that you were Airborne in and of itself will not generally be enough to show the service connection of your shoulder problems. The only exception might be if the VA doctors can say that there is absolutely no way these injuries could have happened any other way and that they are consistent with wearing a parachute and jumping from airplanes (assuming you never did it again after your service. The following link is a good basic discussion of ways of establishing service connection: http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/disability/veterans-disability/establish-service-connection.htm

All that said, it is generally always worth it to apply and see where the process takes you. By the way, as a Veteran myself I want to say thank you for your service and I hope you have a good Veterans' Day.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 6th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.