P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I signed an agreement to serve in the individual ready

Customer Question

I signed an agreement to serve in the individual ready reserves in order to receive separation pay. I have recently filed a disability claim with the VA and have been told that I will not see any compensation until my separation pay is paid back. They claim it is double dipping, however no one can explain why. If the money i received for separation needs to be paid back, then why am i still in the IRR? Or if I'm still in the IRR, then why do i have to pay back the separation pay in full before i receive disability compensation? I might be able to understand it had i been separated medically for my disability, but i was involuntary separated due to force reduction.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I want to make sure I understand...you are looking for the reference (the law that requires the VA to recoup the severance)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind, i found my answer. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

certainly