Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I met an E-6 Army Sargeant on a dating site. We started

Customer Question

I met an E-6 Army Sargeant on a dating site. We started communicating and became close very quickly. He states his name to be Jossy Emrick and is a mechanical engineer deployed to Kunduz, Afghanistan. During our communications there were some inconsistencies
in some of his stories. I have attached 2 photos of him at his camp. He has asked that I send him some supplies, including a cell phone (which I let him know I could not afford) because he is not allowed to use the Skype camera do to security. When I asked
his mailing address, he asked me to email his superior officer, Sgt. Richard Fox. I found this very strange that he would ask me to write his superior to get the address...Sgt. Fox's email address was "@outlook.com" which I found unusual as I assume it would
be "@army.gov" I recieved a response from Sgt. Fox telling me he was going to West Africa for a deployment and that once I got the package ready he would send me the address in West Africa and we would deliver the package to Sgt. Emrick in Afghaistan. I think
I may be in the midst of a scam set up. My questions: 1) Is there a public directory data base where an army sargent can be looked up and see if they are listed, and where they are stationed? 2) Aren't the soldiers allowed to use Skype cams to chat with their
friends and family back home? 3) Wouldn't a superior officer send me an actual address to mail the package to the Afghanistan camp rather than sending it to him in West Africa for him to carry? 4) What is your take on these facts? I have read that West Africa
is a hot bed for scammers. Thank you.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I would call unemployment and ask them to send you the appeal process. You would actually need to get a hearing and it would be a verbal process that you'd go through.

I'm sorry....I responded to the wrong question. I'll address the military law question shortly....don't rate my service yet.

Ok....addressing your question.

1. No, there is not a public database to determine each member of the military for that purpose. There are means of doing so, but that is for criminal law investigations, but such information is not publicly available.

2. Yes, soldiers are absolutely allowed to use Skype AND we are not deployed to West Africa AND if we were, we certainly could not tell anyone about it.

3. Yes, a superior officer would just send an APO, but in truth there was no reason to get a superior officer involved. It's all very sketchy.

4. My take on these facts is that they do not fit with actual military service and are very similar to other scam efforts we have seen in the last few years. Only someone with no knowledge of our actual military practices would believe those things suggested by this individual. What they've done is obtain pictures by hacking or downloading from an actual military member and then using their photos to start a new profile (I've had this done to my own FB account. It's not that hard, unfortunately).

You are also correct that most of these scams originate from the West African nations because their government does not cooperate with our investigatory bodies and won't close down these scam sites.

If you have further questions, please let me know. If not, have a great day and please rate my service.