P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My daughter was born in Michigan and in Texas she lives with

Customer Question

My daughter was born in Michigan and I'm Stationed in Texas she lives with me in Texas. Im the biological father and she has a different last name. I was wanting to change her last name and was wondering if I have to file the petition through Michigan or Texas?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Can you tell me, where is mom at? Is there a custody order in the case? IF so from which state?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Myself and mom live together in texas. Her home of record is michigan. We both consent to changing her name.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. You have to file in your state of residence. Because you are in the military it is possible for you to maintain residence even if you are transferred to a different state. So if your state of residence is different than the state that you currently reside in you need to file this request in your state of residence.

If mom and you agree on this the change is something you can accomplish yourself. Contact the clerk of the court and they can give you the forms you need to affect this change.