Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

I served in the National Guard from August 2001 to October

Customer Question

I served in the National Guard from August 2001 to October 2005. I was trained as a linguist/interrogator. Altogether, my AIT lasted two years. Afterwards, I served with my NG unit for two more years, attending weekend drills only. I was honorably discharged because I had a psychotic break due to onset of Bipolar disorder. I was discharged shortly before a scheduled deployment, the onset of my disorder occurring because of the accumulation of stress. I served only half of my 8 year contract. I've pretty much gotten the idea that my service didn't count for anything due to only being training and drills. My life has pretty much been left in shambles since my discharge...in and out of psychiatric hospitals...a noble profession as a cashier...living in a hovel. Are there any benefits available to me?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Yes. You may be entitled to benefits from the Veterans Administration. What you need to do is gather you service records, medical records, and documents related to your discharge, and apply to the VA for assistance.

This website explains the application process. http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/

If you are approved for benefits, the VA will make a determination of how much your are entitled to receive.

If you feel the award you receive from the VA is unfair, you may appeal their decision.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Please remember to rate my response. I only receive credit from Just Answer if the customer rates my response. Thank you.

Please remember to rate my response. Just Answer only pays its experts if the customer rates the response. Thank you.