P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I enlisted in the USMC and shipped to bootcamp February

Customer Question

I enlisted in the USMC and shipped to bootcamp February 5,2015 finished bc, combat training, and my mos still not liking the Marines can I get out?
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as a reserve
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Marine, I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news. There is no "easy way out". By design. In the all volunteer force, the Marine Corps spent a good deal of money to find and train you...the last thing they want to do is allow you to leave before they get their full service contract from you.

So it is not possible to simply "leave".

And not otherwise easy.

If you have a medical condition that limits your ability to serve? That would be a way to get out

Or if you have a deeply held belief against participation in warfare? You could apply for conscientious objector status. Though frankly speaking this can be tough to obtain...you have the burden to prove your deeply held reservations with warfare...and this can be tough to accomplish after enlisting in the Marine Corps whose primary mission is to engage in combat with the enemy.

Now...if none of the above work? And you are determined to get out? Just stop going to drill. They will release you with an "other than honorable" (OTH) discharge. A bad discharge...it would remove all VA benefits and could make it tough to get a job going forward...but it is a sure way out.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work. I have to step away for approx 30 mins but will follow up with any questions you may have when I return