P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

In an FAQ regarding taxability of VSI under local earned

Customer Question

In an FAQ regarding taxability of VSI under local earned income taxes, the answer declares VSI and annuity citing 10 USC 1175, which doesn't state as much explicitly and this reference [ http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/12/12arch/12_17.pdf ] which is apparently no longer available.
Are there currently any authoritative references online showing that the VSI is not an earned income?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Sorry...what is this relating to?

That is, are you asking if VSI can be treated as income (and taxed)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your reply did not become visible until now, too late for my use, and it appears to ask for details that I felt were clear in the question.For sake of completeness, my local tax does not apply to an annuity which, in the past, you indicated there is ample documentation to show that this is what the VSI is... My question was simply a request for a currently available, authoritative reference showing this to be the case -- and that is stated pretty explicitly in my original communication.You probably noticed that the requirement was an urgent one (and the fee accordingly increased). However, the potential benefit of receiving a useful answer has passed, so that will no longer be helpful to me. Thank you for the response, though it provided neither the needed information nor the indication that the question was understood. Such being the case, I will have to request a refund.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I wish you the very best...