Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

I left the Army Reserves before the Gulf War. I was in years

Customer Question

I left the Army Reserves before the Gulf War. I was in for 9 years and at the time there was no active duty going on. I'm seeing there are many changes that have happened over the last 5-10 years with benefits. Where can I find benefit information since I was in during non war time? I'm not sure what my classifications are today.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. The changes that have occurred are only in regards ***** ***** periods of "active service" might qualify a Reservist for VA benefits. There still must be active service though, so if you did not have any, you would not qualify for VA benefits (including medical, education, or home loan guarantees.)

You can see what qualifies for VA medical and home loan guarantees by going to the following links. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. I will be away from my computer for most of the day, but will get back to you as soon as I can. If you don't need further assistance, if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for my work. Thank you

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/veterans.asp

http://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/purchaseco_eligibility.asp

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. On the home loan eligibility can you please explain the 24 month rule? Did I have to be in active duty for 24 continuous months?

I apologize for not getting back to you yesterday, but I just simply could not get back to my computer. In any event, the service (24 months) is active-duty. But also, during pre-Gulf War period if you were called to active-duty for less than 24 months, but at least 181, then if you would have served the entire period of those orders, you would have qualified for VA home loan guarantee. So, the big change for Gulf War Reservists was that they would have only had to had 90 versus 181 days active-service if their orders were fully served.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 28th.For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.