P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I have orders to hawaii. And is currently married. My wife

Customer Question

Hi, I have orders to hawaii. And is currently married. My wife is not on my orders and I'm trying to get her on my orders or pay for her ticket. I talked to hawaii Family advocate about command Sponsorship and they sent me a list saying that the family
member must physically be on the island to be command sponsored. Also to get her on the orders what exactly would i need to do to put her on them?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Can you tell me, were you married when you received the orders?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i was not married at the time i Received my orders, but in hawaii command sponsorship checklist says that the family member must be on the Island.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

That makes sense..Since you were not married when the orders were cut, they did not include a spouse.

YOu will need to make a request, through your chain of command, to have your orders modified. If they are modified before you travel, your spouse can travel with you (on orders)

If you can not get them modified? Then the military is not obliged to cover her travel.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would not mind paying for her travel its just where are we going to live. What can i do to make sure we have a place to stay?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

If you are married, you will rate BAH. You can use that BAH to obtain housing in town. Also, if married, you can apply for base housing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the process into doing that? What are the steps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like how do i do this? That's what I need help with
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

How to apply for BAH? You bring a copy of your marriage certificate to the personnel office and ask them to sign you up for BAH.