Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I'm an attorney representing a service member who died

Customer Question

Hello. I'm an attorney representing a service member who died recently. I'm trying to see if the service member had a will prepared by a JAG attorney. How to I go about this?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, we don't keep records in that fashion. By that, I mean that there is not an external database showing when we have done legal work for a certain person, like creating a will. As you can imagine, that is confidential information.

We also don't maintain hard copies for wills. At best, ***** ***** has a notary sheet with the person's name and signature on it, but even that is unlikely.

The other issue that you have is we, as attorneys, move on a regular basis from base to base. So, even if you could locate which base the person was at, you'd then have to try and figure out who was stationed there at the time.

We also don't draft many of our wills, having paralegals pre-draft them (different paralegals within the office), so there would be no means for me to recall who I may have reviewed wills for in the past.

The point is that unless you already know the attorney involved, the base that it was drafted at, and it was drafted in the very recent past, there is no practical method of determining the answer to this question.