Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

My 21 yr old son just arrived at Ft Sill. He raised s hand

Customer Question

my 21 yr old son just arrived at Ft Sill. He raised his hand when they asked if anyone had suicidal thoughts. Is there a chance he could still make it through AIT.? (basic training) Thank you in advance. I put 33 years military, if I flew down to Fort Sill, could it make a difference?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. If the Army believes that your son was making an honest admission, then there is very little chance he will be retained. This is a different situation than if a career soldier has a brief battle with depression that does not rise to the level of being an immediate threat to themselves. In that case, the solider might be treated and retained. However, with a recruit, there is too much at stake for the Army to retain them.

I can't tell you with certainty whether your contact or presence at the Command will change the outcome, however, in my experience, it wouldn't change the outcome.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.