P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I am a Tricare beneficiary who just remarried. I understand

Customer Question

I am a Tricare beneficiary who just remarried. I understand I will now lose Tricare and wish to apply for CHAMPVA since I am over 55 yrs old.
However I am worried that I will be without any health insurance while I wait for CHAMPVA to kick in. I was told it vould take weeks.
How do I handle this? Must I buy a private policy in the meantime? Thanks..
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details. Can you tell me how you qualify for champ VA? Is it through your new spouse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband died on active duty in the US Army in 2013. I continued my coverage with TRICARE at that time.
Now 2 yrs later met and married a non military spouse in August 2015. Just prior to my wedding I did speak to someone at CHAMPVA who told me to apply..and be rejected..by CHAMPVA so I could "get into their system". I did as he said.
I understand I must update my status in DEERS..havent done it yet.
I am nervous about being "uncovered" insurance-wise. Can you help? Thanks. .Corinne
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. What do you mean can I help? Are you asking if I can process your application for this benefit? Or were you asking about information on the application process. Would it help to chat on the phone about this?